Permits, Licenses and Insurance

Be sure to secure the necessary permits, licenses, and insurance for your business. Filling out this checklist will give you a list of the permits and licenses you will need based on your business structure. 

Your local municipal contact can answer any questions related to local registrations, permits, and zoning requirements in the area where you will be operating.


 Among these will include food licenses and possibly liquor licenses. Keep in mind that some licenses might have additional costs.


Navigating the permits needed to open a restaurant in Philadelphia can cause quite a headache but Permit Philly breaks down all of the permits needed for any situation you might be in with starting your business. They also offer services to help get your business through each hoop most efficiently.


Insurance coverages:

  • Restaurant insurance
  • Property insurance
  • General insurance
  • Liquor insurance
  • Auto insurance
  • Workers Compensation insurance
  • Unemployment insurance
  • Life insurance
  • Fire insurance
  • Loss of Business insurance
  • Food Contamination insurance

Health Inspections

To certify that you are safely handling, storing and serving food up to code. Some points of inspection include:

  • Food storage
  • Food preparation
  • Serving
  • Maximum occupancy
  • Fire hazards
  • Ventilation
  • Sink placement
  • Restrooms

More information of food inspections and regulations in Philadelphia can be found here: